What are mouth ulcers?
Mouth ulcers are basically small, round, red wounds develop in our mouth and may cause pain and irritation. It feels too uncomfortable while eating or drinking the food which we want, when we suffer from mouth ulcers. In most of the cases, youngsters, women have high chances of developing cancer.
Fortunately, in most of the cases permanently harm causing, they just last for a week or less. But if the ulcer if the ulcer becomes large and painful, and not healing within 2 weeks, you must consult your doctor.
What causes mouth ulcers?
- Here are some causes of mouth ulcers that generally happens:-
- Accidental bite while eating, hard brushing, unwanted crushing of lips during any dental work.
- Lack of Vitamins like Iron, Vitamin B, Zinc.
- Lack of sleep, increase, mental stress.
- Vital or bacterial infections.
- Consumption of acidic foods like strawberry, chocolate, lemon uice
Here are some serious causes of mouth ulcers that needs medical treatments such as.
- Diabetes mellitus
- Celiac disease
- Weak immune system.
- Behcet’ disease.
What are the symptoms of mouth ulcers ?
Mouth ulcers which are just small, oval shape, a bit pain causing, they can be healed within two weeks are called minor ulcers.
and the ulcer which are larger in size and take long time for healing are called major ulcers.
There is another types of mouth ulcer called Herpetiform.
Herpetiform is smaller in sizeand mostly affects adults.
Now coming to the symptoms:-
- Frequent fevers, diarrhea, when ever mouth ulcer occurs.
- mouth ulcer extending Lips.
- ulcers taking more than 3 weeks to heal.
- Large mouth ulcers
- increase in ulcers instead of healing.
- unwanted pain during medication.
Treatment for mouth ulcers:-
Usually, ulcers automatically gets cured, so there is no need of medication, but if the ulcer is more pain causing and larger in size then these methods can be applied.
- Cover mouth with baking soda paste.
- Apply ice to the ulcers.
- use rinse of baking soda and salt water.
- Place milk of magnesia on the mouth ulcer.
- Take supplements like Vitamin B 6, Vitamin B 12, Zinc.
- take chamomile tea.
- Avoid foods that irritate mouth ulcers.
- Avoid acidic fruits like, grapes, oranges, lemons etc.
- Take non acidic, or basic foods.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet.
- Take care of accidental bites.
- Keep your mouth hygienic, brush daily after consuming any food item.
- use soft brushes, instead hard and tight brushes.
- Finally drink more water and have plenty of sleep.